Ms. Nadow's Journalism class blogs their latest articles and artwork...

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Interview with Mr.Pitcairn- By James

Interview with Mr. Pitcairn
1.     How long have you been a part of the Academy at the Lakes community?
I came first as a parent when Jason was in Kindergarten, Daniel in second and Kelsey was in fourth grade. For the last five years I was the Middle Division Director and four years before that I was the Middle Division Soccer Coach. So I’ve been here for 13 years.
2.     What is your favorite poem and why?
The Charge of the Light Brigade by Alfred Lord Tennyson. When I first read it, it brought history alive to me.
3.     How were inspired to help children to receive a better education?
By being a good example, by opening the eyes of each student to their potential and to find the joy in the journey.
4.     Can you tell us about your Family’s history that came to America?
The first Pitcairn that came over was Major John Pitcairn. He led the British troops at Lexington and Concord. He never left America because he died at the Battle of Bunker Hill. The next Pitcairn didn’t come until about eh 1840s.
5.     How many generations still carry the name “Pitcairn”?
Hundreds of them. The first record of the name was in Scotland in the 1200s.
6.     What outdoor activities do you like to do?
I like to run half and full marathons, walk, and I love to watch soccer, especially my boys and students.
7.     What is your perspective on imperialism?
I think that it was a period of history that had many sad episodes which we can learn a great deal about how a country can be both great and good.
8.     In your own words, what does it take to be a leader?
It’s not my expression, but a good leader leads by serving others.

No comments:

Post a Comment